[Samba] Does pam is needed with winbind?

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Thu Mar 31 17:49:22 GMT 2005

On Thursday 31 March 2005 08:39, Guillaume chardin wrote:
> I have some problem to compile samba 3.0.13 on a
> debian distrib. I tried to compile the source, and
> when configure check for PAM, it give me an error that
> "pam module blablabla" cannot be found. Then, I
> compile the source without the '--with-pam' parameter
> and compilation run well. All I want to know is: does
> winbind need the presence of PAM (in compilation) for
> autenticate on an ADS structure?

If you want to log onto your Linux system using ADS accounts you need PAM.
If you want to run a Samba server on Linux, and then access it from a Windows
workstation you just need winbind for NSS support. However, I suspect you
need PAM support to permit winbind to be compiled so it  is available for NSS
support - suggest you check the dependencies in the  Makefile.

To build PAM support you need the pam-devel libraries installed.

- John T.