[Samba] Print Management - Cups - Samba PDC/Print Server / Perl Script

Ben Gaide bgaide at Mines.EDU
Thu Mar 31 05:26:10 GMT 2005

All Version Information and Print Section of cmb.conf at end of email.

Ok I have a Samba server set up and functioning as a Primary Domain
Controller with File and Print services, but there are a few glitches +
odds and ends not yet functional.

1. Printer Management. - I have a HP Laserjet 1200 connected to the USB
ports and configured via cups. Print Que does not list any of the items
in the Print Que, nor can I pause it as an administrator.

2. When selecting this as the printer from windows it is exteremely slow
and may take up to 3 minutes to acknowlage your selection, but when you
click print with it set as the default printer it prints right away.

3. print command is apairently being ignored completely. I attempted as
you can see in the config to add a perl script that would count how many
prints each user made and add it to a MYSQL database. Even when I
removed the stuff after the perl script on both the Printer Config and
the general printer configs it still printed and did not call the perl
script.

My primary Goal is to record the number of pages printed by each user.
If you have a way to output user:pages as a new line to a  text file I
can parse that with a cron job. Please let me know.

PS. I appricate all the work done with samba over the years.

Ben Gaide

# Partial Samba Config File. -- Shows All Printer config lines --
# 2. Printing Options:
    printcap name = cups
    load printers = yes
    printing = cups
    printer admin = @administrators
    show add printer wizard = yes
    max print jobs = 100

[printers]
   min print space = 4000
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   browseable = no
   guest ok = no
   public = no
   writable = no
   printable = yes
   print command = /usr/bin/printcount.pl lpr-cups -P %p -o raw %s -r
#   lppause command = /usr/bin/enable %p
#   lpresume command = /usr/bin/disable %p
#   lpq command = lpq -P %p
#   lprm command = cancel %p-%j

[HPLJ1200]
        comment = Fiji Study Printer
        printer admin = @administrators
        browseable = yes
        printable = yes
        writable = no
        guest ok = no
        print command = /usr/bin/printcount.pl# lpr-cups -P %p -o raw %s -r
        valid users = @administrators

[print$]
        comment = Printer Driver Download Area
        path = /var/lib/samba/printers