[Samba] ntlm_auth question

Snodgrass, Micah MSnodgrass at ceciowa.com
Wed Mar 30 14:05:56 GMT 2005

Hi guys/gals.  I'm brand new to this list, been working with Linux for several years, and have occasionally set up samba file servers before in a "hi-i'm-wide-open-so-anyone-can-read/write-to-my-shares" mode for temporary storage in data recovery scenarios.  At the moment, I'm working on a project that involves FreeRADIUS authenticating against a Win2k/2k3 AD server using the ntlm_auth program. The Free RADIUS folks say that ntlm_auth is a samba-related program and to RTFM or ask a samba mailing list. (ok, they really were nice about it, they just didn't have any suggestions)

The machine is running Debian-testing, and is all updated. It's on the same local network/subnet as the AD server, and I can ping/nmap the AD server. The AD server works, as it authenticates enough windows machines on a daily basis to give my stuffed Tux the creeps. When I run ntlm_auth from the command line, just to verify that it does indeed do what it's supposed to do, I get the following:

root at crbr-1cjib:~# ntlm_auth --username=msnodgrass --request-nt-key --domain=CECNT
password:
NT_STATUS_CANT_ACCESS_DOMAIN_INFO: NT_STATUS_CANT_ACCESS_DOMAIN_INFO (0xc00000da)
root at crbr-1cjib:~#

I realize that there's probably been someone asking this exact question sometime in the past, and I've googled my heart out on this one to no avail.  Any sort of help/point-in-the-right-direction would be greatly appreciated.

-MS