[Samba] Samba or Cups-Problem ?

Stefan-Michael. Guenther (in-put GbR) S.Guenther at in-put.de
Wed Mar 30 07:00:24 GMT 2005

Hi,

I'm using some kind of pseudo printer on our samba server to automatically
produce PDF files. The smb.conf looks like this (the samba server is
successfully conteced to an ADS):

[global]
        workgroup = ADS
        netbios name = pc103.ads.local
        realm = ADS.LOCAL
        security = ADS
        password server = win2ksrv.ads.local
        log level = 2
        winbind separator = +
        template homedir = /home/%U
        idmap uid = 10000-20000
        idmap gid = 10000-20000
        winbind enum users = yes
        winbind enum groups = yes
        winbind enable local accounts = yes
        template shell = /bin/bash
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.smb.%U
        max log size = 500
        printing = cups
        printcap name = cups
        cups options = raw

[pdfprinter]
        comment = Minolta Color PageWorks/Pro Ps
        path = /samba/pdfprinter
        print command = /samba/pdfprinter/pdfscript "%s"
        printable = yes
        public = yes
        writeable = yes

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   load printers = yes
   browseable = no
   printable = yes
   public = yes
   read only = yes
   create mode = 0700
   directory = /tmp

My problem is, that the script doesn't produce any PDF file. In the logfile I
find the following message:

[2005/03/29 19:31:44, 0] printing/print_cups.c:cups_queue_get(900)
  Unable to get jobs for ipp://localhost/printers/pdfprinter -
client-error-not-found

Okay, this is an error from cups, but what has cups to do with it? I don't
want to use cups for printing, but a simple script.
I have used this construction already about two years ago with older versions
of samba and cups and I of course compared the configuration files and all
file/dir permissions.
Samba is version samba-3.0.9-2.3, cups is version cups-1.1.21-5.6, the system
is SuSE 9.2.
Do I really have to set up some kind of dummy printer to use a script as a
printer in samba?

Thanks for any help,

Stefan

in-put GbR - Das Linux-Systemhaus