[Samba] Need some help setting up a Samba server

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Wed Mar 30 01:34:08 GMT 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-29 at 19:48 -0500, Madhusudan Singh wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am trying to implement a simple Samba server on a Slackware 10.1 machine
> running for a bunch of Windows users that also have unix accounts on the
> machine. Using webmin, I did convert the unix users to samba users. A
> possible problem is that I have very little experience using windows, so
> please be patient with me.
>
> I want them to have read and write permissions only in /home/<username>. How
> does one accomplish this ?
>
> O/p of smbclient -L localhost -U% :
>
>  Domain=[MOLECTRON] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.10]
>
>         Sharename       Type      Comment
>         ---------       ----      -------
>         IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Samba Server on Molectron)
>         ADMIN$          IPC       IPC Service (Samba Server on Molectron)
>  Domain=[MOLECTRON] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.10]
>
>         Server               Comment
>         ---------            -------
>         MOLECTRON            Samba Server on Molectron
>
>         Workgroup            Master
>         ---------            -------
>         MOLECTRON

First things first, EVERY NAME must be unique. SO a server name of
Molectron and a domain of Molectron just WILL NOT WORK AT ALL.

Please change these to be different like this:

workgroup = MOLEDOM
netbios name = MOLECTRON

It'll get you a lot further.

Get back to us after you do that, if you have other problems.
greg, greg at gregfolkert.net

The technology that is
Stronger, better, faster:  Linux