[Samba] Windows XP & greyed-out Guest user password prompt

Jules Agee julesa at pcf.com
Wed Mar 30 01:23:39 GMT 2005

(replying to self again)
Update:
The Windows XP (SP2, BTW) client tries three times to log in to the
Samba server with the Windows username, which is different from the
Samba username. As one would expect, Samba replies to each of the three
requests with a "STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD" message, and in the same packets
the Action segment reads 0x0001 "Guest: Logged in as GUEST". If a new XP
user is created with the same username and password as the Samba
account, the problem goes away. But if either the XP username or the XP
password differs from Samba's info, the user is never prompted for the
real username or password.

Unfortunately, we have situations where the desired behavior is for
Windows to allow the Samba username to be different from the Windows XP
client username, and prompt for a different username if the
currently-logged-in username/pw fails. Instead, XP forces a guest login.

I'd think that this is purely a client issue, except that when I try
this with a Windows 2000 server or a 2003 server, I'm prompted for a
username AND password if the Windows XP uid/pw fails.

For what it's worth, Samba returns "STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD" errors (even
if the Samba user doesn't exist), while the Windows 2000 server returns
"STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE" errors.

-Jules