[Samba] Re: No vscan HOWTOs? should called how exclude pst files vscan clamav

Rainer Link link at unfug.org
Tue Mar 29 21:51:31 GMT 2005

On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 11:28:13PM +0200, Robert Schetterer wrote:

> Hi @ll,hi Andrew,Rainer

You'd probably shoulnd't bug any Samba people with samba-vscan
related configuration issues. They are busy enough :)

> - ------
> pdc:/home/danielop/outlook.pst # file -i ./Outlook.pst
> ./Outlook.pst: application/octet-stream
> - -----

So, the MIME-type is actually "application/octet-stream", which is
a generic type for anything binary and not recognized by file otherwise.
Probably someone should try to add a real "pattern" to detect Outlook
PST correctly (the idea has mentioned below already by someone else).

> so i included this to  vscan-clamav.conf
>
> - ---
> ; exclude files from being scanned based on the MIME-type! Semi-colon
> ; seperated list (default: empty list). Use this with care!
> exclude file types = pst
> - ----

pst ist the file extension, not the MIME-type! Keep in mind you should
never trust any file extension if you want to achieve virus protection
(esp. to block files on SMTP layer). I won't repeat the reasoning
behind, just do a google group search for "nick fitzgerald file
extension" (a good hit is http://tinyurl.com/4nkv9).

Anyway, samba-vscan 0.3.7 will most likely ship with a feature to
exclude files from scanning based on a regexp. The code is basically
already in CVS, based on a contribution from a samba-vscan user.

> Munich / Bavaria / Germany
Hum, that's not sooo far away :)

HTH

best regards