[Samba] Re: domain admins group in samba 3.0.7 question

Tony Earnshaw tonye at billy.demon.nl
Tue Mar 29 18:17:05 GMT 2005

Jim C.:

> ~ > What makes you think that?  The command should be
> | net groupmap add unixgroup="<whatever group name>" ntgroup="<something
> | else>"
> | where the unixgroup parameter is the name of the existing unix group to
> | use and ntgroup is the new name that you want the group to display as in
>  | windows.
>

> I've thought of doing this also but the problem that I have is that if I
> put this:
>
> net groupmap add unixgroup="<whatever group name>" ntgroup="<something |
> else>"
>
> into a logon script won't it add to the group each time the user logs in?
> How would duplicate entries be handled?  Wouldn't I see an entry
> for each login or would duplicate entries be dropped?

'net groupmap add' works for Samba 3 (at least from 3.0.7 on, my
experience up to 3.0.11). It works once and for all for all workstations,
even new ones that you add to the domain - you don't have to keep on doing
it.

This is where the ldapsam backend and using GQ as an LDAP GUI is such a
help; you can see at a glance exactly what you've done and even use GQ and
the Samba tools to start all over again if you've made a mistake.

Your problem is, that you can't see the results of what you're doing and
why it isn't working.

--Tonni

mail: tonye at billy.demon.nl
http://www.billy.demon.nl