[Samba] iconv not working on Sparc Solaris 8

Graeme Hindmarsh GH at Thamescredit.co.uk
Tue Mar 29 15:52:37 GMT 2005

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. I changed the order of my PATH and added an entry
for LD_LIBRARY_PATH and this seems to have solved the problem.

Thanks
Again

Graeme

-----Original Message-----
From: Håkan Stefansson [mailto:ste at algonet.se]
Sent: 25 March 2005 18:29
To: Graeme Hindmarsh
Cc: 'samba at lists.samba.org'
Subject: Re: [Samba] iconv not working on Sparc Solaris 8

Graeme Hindmarsh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have installed gettext using the configure --with-libiconv-prefix={dir}
> I then reinstalled libiconv, following make distclean, but there was no
> configure option to point to the gettext lib.
>
> I then recompiled samba but have had the same result and iconv is still
not
> working.
>
> Is there something that I am doing wrong or missing out, do I need to set
> LDFLAGS or any other environment variables?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Graeme

I see from your configure output below that iconv was found in /usr/lib.
This is Sun's iconv, that doesn't work with samba. Was that configure
run before or after you installed libiconv in /usr/local? What did your
latest samba configure say about this?

My samba 3.0.12 with working libiconv support runs under Solaris 7. I am
using gcc 3.x.y, GNU make and Sun's linker. I also use
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib and in my PATH I have /usr/local/bin
before /usr/bin and /usr/ccs/bin. I don't remember what configure
options I used for libiconv and gettext.

I'm afraid I can't give you much better info about my setup until I'm
back at work on Tuesday.

Håkan