[Samba] Client Profile mistake

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Tue Mar 29 13:36:00 GMT 2005

>Now when I try to log on the domain the client ist no longer trusted by
>the domain.
>When I add the client to the domain to solve these problem, I get an new
>profile after login.
>And this is my problem. All our client-users are mobile user, they all
>have local profiles.
>And the need ther profiles back. They don't accept new profiles.
>So what do I have to do to use our old profiles.

This sounds a lot like your domain SID changed, if you can find your SID
on a machine you can change it back and probably save yourself some
headache, assuming you arent already too far converting profiles to go back.

For starters, get the SID your server is currently using for comparison:
net getlocalsid

Search around on some system for the old SID.  There's two places I can
think of for ease:
1. In the registry, you should see someplace under HKEY-USERS a key tree
that starts with a SID looking number,
(S-x-x-xx-xxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxxx-xxxx or thereabouts).  Take this
number, and chop off the last -xxxx and you have the domain SID of the
domain.
2. Look for your c:\Docs and Settings directory and you should see some
directories for your old user(s).  Look at the properties, security tab
and the owner should be a SID like in step 1.  Chop off the end -xxxx
data as above.

Once you have the domain SID, issue
net setlocalsid S-x-x-xx-xxxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxx
restart the samba process and see how logins go on a machine you haven't
touched yet.

--
Paul Gienger                    Office: 701-281-1884
Applied Engineering Inc.