[Samba] Possible documentation error in Chapter 8. Migrating NT4 Domain to Samba-3

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Tue Mar 29 07:06:11 GMT 2005

On Monday 28 March 2005 23:22, Doug Campbell wrote:
> Looking through this chapter today and ran across the following
> inconsistency under the section NT4 Migration Using LDAP Backend.
>
> Step 3 says
>
> "3. Create a file called preload.LDIF as shown in Example 8.1. Edit the
> contents so that the domain name and SID are correct for the site being
> installed."

This is correct information.

> Then step 4 says
>
> "4. Preload the LDAP database so it is ready to receive the information
> from the NT4 PDC. This pre-loads the LDAP directory with the top-level
> information, as well as the top level containers for user, group, computer,
> and domain account data. Execute the instruction shown here:
>
> root#  slapadd -v -l preload.LDIF
> added: "dc=abmas,dc=biz" (00000001)
> added: "cn=Manager,dc=abmas,dc=biz" (00000002)
> added: "ou=People,dc=abmas,dc=biz" (00000003)
> added: "ou=Computers,dc=abmas,dc=biz" (00000004)
> added: "ou=Groups,dc=abmas,dc=biz" (00000005)
> added: "ou=Idmap,dc=abmas,dc=biz" (00000006)
> added: "sambaDomainName=MEGANET,dc=abmas,dc=biz" (000000"

Apologies, I had not updated this, but now you have pointed this out I have
updated the sources and the new info should be up on our servers within 48
hours.

> The Problem:  Example 8.1 does not include information for
> "ou=Computers,dc=abmas,dc=biz" and "cn=Manager,dc=abmas,dc=biz".
>
> I guess something like the following should be added to the Example 8.1
> ldif
>
> dn: ou=Computers,dc=abmas,dc=biz
> objectClass: top
> objectClass: organizationalUnit
> ou: Computers
>

> Also, since "cn=Manager,dc=abmas,dc=biz" is the rootbinddn used in Chapter
> 6's example, I don't think it would need to be in the directory anyway but
> that could something I just don't understand yet concerning LDAP.

This is not necessary. I updated the descritpive text also. The method
outlined was recently used to migrate a 4300 user NT4 domain to Samba-3.

Thanks for pointing out the glitch. It at least shows someone reads the
documentation. :)

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra