[Samba] iconv not working on Sparc Solaris 8

Graeme Hindmarsh GH at Thamescredit.co.uk
Fri Mar 25 14:20:36 GMT 2005

Hi,

I have installed gettext using the configure --with-libiconv-prefix={dir}
I then reinstalled libiconv, following make distclean, but there was no
configure option to point to the gettext lib.

I then recompiled samba but have had the same result and iconv is still not
working.

Is there something that I am doing wrong or missing out, do I need to set
LDFLAGS or any other environment variables?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Graeme
-----Original Message-----
From: Håkan Stefansson [mailto:ste at algonet.se]
Sent: 25 March 2005 12:50
To: Graeme Hindmarsh
Cc: 'samba at lists.samba.org'
Subject: Re: [Samba] iconv not working on Sparc Solaris 8

Graeme Hindmarsh wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I am trying to compile Samba 3.0.13 but when I run configure I get the
> following in the output.
>

> checking for iconv in /usr/lib... yes
>
> checking can we convert from CP850 to UCS2-LE?... no
>
> checking can we convert from IBM850 to UCS2-LE?... no
>
> checking can we convert from ASCII to UCS2-LE?... no
>
> checking can we convert from 646 to UCS2-LE?... 646
>
> checking can we convert from UTF-8 to UCS2-LE?... UTF-8
>
> checking for iconv in /usr/local/lib... yes
>
> checking can we convert from CP850 to UCS2-LE?... no
>
> checking can we convert from IBM850 to UCS2-LE?... no
>
> checking can we convert from ASCII to UCS2-LE?... no
>
> checking can we convert from 646 to UCS2-LE?... no
>
> checking can we convert from UTF-8 to UCS2-LE?... no
>
> checking can we convert from UTF8 to UCS2-LE?... no
>
> configure: WARNING: Sufficient support for iconv function was not found.
>
>     Install libiconv from http://freshmeat.net/projects/libiconv/ for
better
> cha
>
> rset compatibility!
>

> I have compiled from source and installed libiconv-1.9.2 in /usr/local but
> it just does not seem to work.
>
> Without iconv Samba will just fill up its log files with character
> conversion errors and generally not work.
>

> I have tried libiconv-1.9.1, libiconv-1.8 and Samba 3.0.11.
>
> GNU gcc 2.95.3 and gcc 3.4.2
>

> Can anybody help?
>

> Thanks
>
> Graeme

There is a mutual dependency between libiconv and GNU gettext. That is,
gettext is needed to get libiconv to work while gettext neeeds libiconv.
(IIRC this is mentioned in a README or INSTALL file.)

I have tested the following procedure on Solaris 7 and 9 with various
versions of samba 3.0.x, most recently with samba 3.0.12 under Solaris
7. (Sorry, I don't remember what libiconv and gettext versions I used
and can't check now as I'm at home.)

1. Install libiconv from source
2. Install gettext fron source
3. Remove (make distclean) libiconv and reinstall it

Then you will need to reinstall samba with the configure parameter
--with-libiconv=/usr/local (assuming the libraries are in /usr/local/lib)

Håkan Stefansson