[Samba] Problem changing password - Samba 3.0.13

Richard Smart rsmart at netaccess.co.nz
Fri Mar 25 12:37:56 GMT 2005

First thank you to the team for the Samba software. I have been using
this on a number of sites with excellent results and very few
problems over the years.

I have just upgraded two sites to Samba 3.0.13 from 3.0.11. Both
sites are small and use smbpasswd as the password db backend. Since
the upgrade I am unable to change a users password (as root) using
smbpasswd.

There are two reported errors

account_policy_get: tdb_fetch_uint32 failed for field 4 (maximum
password age (seconds since 1970)), returning 0
account_policy_get: tdb_fetch_uint32 failed for field 5 (minimum
password age (seconds since 1970)), returning 0

The systems are both RedHat 9.0, Samba was installed using RPMS from
samba.org

Converting the smbpasswd file to a tdbsam and then reconfiguring
Samba to use passdb.tdb makes no difference.

Using pdbedit to import the old smbpasswd and export as a new
smbpasswd file makes no difference - so I do not think that this is a
problem of an old format smbpasswd file - although that was my first
thought.

Reverting to samba 3.0.11 fixes the problem.

Has anyone any suggestions please?

Thank you

Richard Smart