[Samba] Very HUGE binaries!?

Toni Verdu Carbo toni at silver.udg.es
Fri Mar 25 10:28:55 GMT 2005

 	Hi!

 	I've been compiling Samba 3.0.x on a Solaris 2.6 server using GCC
3.4.1 without any problem until recently... The problem started with 3.0.12
version, and reproduced in 3.0.13. Doing "configure" and then "make"
produces with these two versions VERY HUGE binaries! I'm talking about more
than 50 Megabytes binaries in some cases... With 3.0.11 and before I had
much smaller binaries, doing exactly the same procedure to compile. I
haven't changed anything on the compiler side...

 	I've seen that the huge binaries are due to the fact that debugging
symbols are being included on them. So, removing the compiler -g flag in
Makefile solves the problem (or stripping the binaries, of course). But I
would like to know what changed from version 3.0.11 to 3.0.12 that causes
such HUGE binaries even if the --enable-debug is supposed to be "NO" by
default?? (I even triend "configure --disable-degug" with no results).

 	Thanks!

 	Toni
--
Toni Verdu Carbo
Departament d'Electronica, Informatica i Automatica (dEIA)