[Samba] Mac/Samba capacity detection problem

AndyLiebman at aol.com AndyLiebman at aol.com
Thu Mar 24 01:51:07 GMT 2005

Your problem is the following...

OS X 10.3.x can't cope with seeing Samba shares that are larger than 2 TB.
If the Mac sees anything larger, in the "info" listing on the share, it will
tell you the true size (i.e., 2.8 TB), but then it will tell you there is 0
space left.

Don't get me started on what a piece of (fill in the blank) Macs are for
networking. And Netatalk is no picnic either. You'll have the same problem with
large shares and AFP.

Anyway, the solution is to either:

a)  partition your hard drive so that any given share can't have more  than 2
TB of space
or
b)  use quotas, and set the quota for the user or group that owns the  share
to be smaller than 2 TB.

I use option b. Works like a charm. Took me about 4 months to realize this
was the problem. Hope I can save you some headaches and heartaches.
Andy Liebman

In a message dated 3/23/2005 5:17:58 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,