[Samba] OT Anybody any comments?

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Thu Mar 24 01:03:05 GMT 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-23 at 19:23 +0100, Tony Earnshaw wrote:
> List,
> Anyone there at Brainshare? Knows about Zenworks 7? How does Novell plan
> to "manage Windows clients" from any Linux service? Can she (Novell), for
> example, do a regedit[4] or mmc remotely?
>
> I have the greatest regard for Novell; she invented NDS/eDirectory and has
> always respected Open Source. Her NetWare market share has since then been
> steadily decreasing, OpenLDAP/others and AD/ADS haven't helped. I'd like
> to believe in Novell for the future, but I find it somewhat difficult.
>
> I'm a Red Hat person, not a SuSE person. Perhaps that makes it more
> difficult? Or does one have to go the whole hog and become a Novell
> person?

I have some contacts (very deep and high up as well), still in Novell.
From the 6 Brain-shares I have attended. I showed the Lead NCP Scientist
how I was serving webpages on apache on Linux, but the root of the
webserver was on a Novell NCP-over-IP mount. This was 6 or 7 years ago.
He was flabber gasted by it, never thought it could be done. It was
authenticated as a read only NDS user for that container and the netware
machine didn't even have bindery emulation.

I was then shown a neat project he was working on. Apache on Netware. I
was blown away. I was also shown early developments of eDIR on Linux,
Solaris and Tru64 as well as Windows.

Also, I hang out with a bunch of people that KNOW Directory services,
see my .sig for comments. I also am a HUGE fan of Novell, you wait,
there is MUCH MORE to come from them. The developments I have been
whispered to about will literally shake the very foundation of the "Old
School Software/OS Business". Causing Companies Like Comp-U-Ware and
Microsoft and even SUN to either change or die.

Remember, it is ONLY the disruptive technologies that move us forward.
Things like Linux, Samba, *BSD, Apache...etc
greg at gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup