[Samba] Remote Downlevel Document Hangs in XP Pro Print Queue

Flash Love flashl at cox.net
Wed Mar 23 14:27:31 GMT 2005

I used SAMBA, CUPS, hplip, and linuxprinting.org documentation to made all
configuration changes necessary to successfully print from FC3 print server
using samba-3.0.10-1.fc3 for a HP PSC 1350 SAMBA windoww share on a XPPro SP2
PC.

I created the FC3 print queue using the CUPS web interface->Device=Windows
Printer via
SAMBA->URI=smb/DOMAIN/HOST/Sharename->Mode/Driver=raw->Model/Driver=raw.

Under CUPS only configuration, when testing, the test file enters the XP print
queue as "remote downlevel document", the printer goes into maintenance mode
and the print queue hangs while displaying "refreshing" intermittently. The
only way to clear the document is to turn the printer off and reboot the
XPPro PC.

Under CUPS+HPLIP configuration using
Mode/Driver=HP->Model/Driver=HP_DeskJet3320 and
URI=hp:/net/deskjet_3320?ip=<XP Host IP address> or URI=socket://XP Host:9100
the system  complaints "Open device failed".

How do I resolve the SAMBA Window Share printing problem?

Flash