[Samba] new samba box, xp can't login

michael michael at etalon.net
Wed Mar 23 01:49:00 GMT 2005

Hello,

I've recently created a new server (new P4) and installed samba.
(Debian sarge with Samba 3.0.10)

I've re-installed samba from scratch.
I've copied over the old smb.conf and smbpasswd file,
copied over /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow files too.
(old server (P III) was the same, Debian sarge with 3.0.10)

With the new server, the xp machines I have, won't login
to the domain. The error message is as if the password is wrong.
I can't see any info in the log.smbd or log.nmbd.

If I re-add the xp machine back to the domain, then all will work
again, but I'm wondering if there are some files from my old server
that I can bring over that will allow the XP machines to login.
I dont' want to have to re-add over 100 XP machines back to the domain.

Anyone else have this problem?
Thanks!

Mike

Debian Project (http://www.debian.org)