[Samba] what are *.tdb files?

William Marshall bmarsh at us.ibm.com
Tue Mar 22 15:13:17 GMT 2005

jerry at samba.org wrote:
> Adam Williams wrote:
>
> | In /varcache/samba/ I have several .tdb files.
> | Like brlock.tdb,  locking.tdb, ntdrivers.tdb, etc.
> | Excusing my ignorance, what are these  files, and
> | what do they do?  And why must they be copied when
> | migrating  from one samba server to a new one?
>
> Samba uses a lightweight database called Trivial Database
> (tdb).  Here's the list  (john, we should really document
> this somewhere).

<snip -- excellent list removed and saved away>

> winbindd_idmap.tdb*            winbindd's local idmap db

> The following tdb's should be backed up IMO:
>
>    nt*.tdb
>    account_policy.tdb
>    group_mapping.tdb
>    share_info.tdb

If you're running with winbind and using local tdbs rather than LDAP, I'd
vote to add the winbindd_idmap.tdb to the list of things to backup.

In fact I tdbbackup this file once an hour into a winbindd_idmap.tdb.HH
file. (where HH is 0-23) We've had a few of these files get corrupt and
then you end up no owners & groups on all/some of your files. It is a real
mess.

Bill Marshall
IBM Global Services Unix & Intel Servers
Rochester PC Server Team