[Samba] samba 3 member of win2003 domain + winbind can't see users

Doug VanLeuven roamdad at sonic.net
Mon Mar 21 04:25:41 GMT 2005

Stuart Westbury wrote:
> Hi Samba gurus,
>
> I have the following problem with a samba member server on a windows 2003
> domain. I have managed to join the domain and my trust secret is good, but
> I can't list users or groups using "wbinfo -u" or "wbinfo -g"
>
> OS version 		Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 3 (Taroon)
> Samba version		samba-3.0.9-1.3E.2
> Kerb version		krb5-libs-1.2.7-38

You're error is definately a kerberos error code.
The MIT doco for kerberos 1.2 says this:
the only supported encryption types are "des3-hmac-sha1" and "des-cbc-crc".
Samba can handle "des only", but I don't recall if the modifications for
this were in samba 3.0.9 or came later.  I'm pretty sure they were in there.
If you have access to ldp.exe on the windows DC, check that
UF_WORKSTATION_TRUST_ACCOUNT includes UF_USE_DES_KEY_ONLY

In any event, I only had success using des instead of windows default
rc4-hmac enctype when I allowed samba to manage the keytab.
     use kerberos keytab = yes
When samba manages the keytab file, it adds just about every HOST/host
or CIFS/cifs and hostname case variation that might occur.

If you decide to try this, you should be able to generate the keytab
entries with
     net ads changetrustpw
If it hangs during that process, I've never found a good way to
regenerate them other than to delete /etc/krb5.keytab and re-run the
command.

There's some caching going on, and I've found rebooting to force usage
of the new keys can help after a major key change and things aren't
quite working right.

> I have also setup (in an attempt to solve this problem) a --set-auth-user.
> I have tried both admin and non-admin accounts. When I do a tdbdump of the
> secrets.tdb, I can see it in there and the details are correct, but I get
> the same result. In the secrets.tdb, my domain is set to just AU, not,
> AU.DOMAIN.INT. Is this correct? How do I even change it?
Domain is the NT40 stlye windows domain.

> My config files are as follows :
>
> krb5.conf
>
> [logging]
>  default = FILE:/var/log/krb5libs.log
>  kdc = FILE:/var/log/krb5kdc.log
>  admin_server = FILE:/var/log/kadmind.log
>
> [libdefaults]
>  default_realm = AU.DOMAIN.INT
>
> [realms]
>  au.domain.int = {
>   kdc = dc001.AU.DOMAIN.INT:88
>   kdc = dc002.AU.DOMAIN.INT:88
>  }
>
> [domain_realms]
> .au.domain.int = AU.DOMAIN.INT
> au.domain.int = AU.DOMAIN.INT

I've used DNS to find the kdc
[libdefaults]
  dns_lookup_kdc = true
  dns_lookup_realm = false
  default_realm = NT.LDXNET.COM

Without the entry for [realms] with success.

I don't think you can specify "kdc = " twice.  Only one would be used.

> smb.conf
>
> [global]
>
>    workgroup = AU
>    netbios name = aucbcosrv016
>    realm = AU.DOMAIN.INT
>    server string = Test Samba Server
>    printcap name = /etc/printcap
>    load printers = yes
>    printing = lprng
>    log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
>    max log size = 0
>    security = ads
>    winbind enum users = yes
>    winbind gid = 10000-20000
>    winbind enum groups = yes
>    winbind uid = 10000-20000
>    winbind cache time = 15
>    winbind use default domain = yes
>    name resolve order = hosts lmhosts wins bcast
>    password server = aucbcosrv001 aucbcosrv002

In AD, I can't speculate what happens when the password servers are
different than the domain controllers dc001 and dc002.
     password server = *
finds the password servers for the AD domain.  Or you can specify a
preference
     password server = dc002, dc001, *
would allow for additional DC's to be used for fallback.

>    encrypt passwords = yes
>    smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
>    socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
>    dns proxy = no
>
> <shares excluded>
>
> nsswitch.conf
>
> passwd:     files winbind
> shadow:     files
> group:      files winbind

I use compat instead of files.  I forget the reason right now, but files
was used in libc5 and the newer usage is compat for full semantics.

passwd:     compat winbind
shadow:     compat
group:     compat winbind

> Does this sound familiar to anyone? I've really hit a wall on this. Any
> help would be greatly appreciated, and rewarded with lots of praise and
> that warm fuzzy feeling :)
>
> Thanks,
> Stuart

Good luck.