[Samba] Winbind, pam_mkhomedir.so problem with long usernames

Tony Earnshaw tonye at billy.demon.nl
Mon Mar 21 00:06:02 GMT 2005

Schlomo Schapiro:

> read the recent thread on vampire, there we discussed the question, if
> usernames with spaces work on Linux. For example useradd "hello world"
> won't work on any Linux system around me here (various SuSE). So maybe
> you just have bad luck (sorry to tell you, but having usernames with
> spaces can be only a MS invention) ? Or maybe you can use the username map
> feature to map Jon Doe to Jon_Doe in Samba ? Or maybe write a patch to do
> that on a lower level ?

Names with spaces can be made to work work with LDAP (i.e. CN=John Doe,
UID=jdoe (and is for that matter already more or less implemented with the
smbldap-tools for groups) but it's *a bad idea* and will break many tender
things, complicate others unnecessarily.

Posix-based systems were never meant for this.

--Tonni

mail: tonye at billy.demon.nl
http://www.billy.demon.nl