[Samba] Windows XP traffic Increase

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Sun Mar 20 21:57:22 GMT 2005

On Sunday 20 March 2005 03:55, Honey Bajaj wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have configured samba domain in our network of around 150 windows node,
> we are running 4 Samba server, Samba acts as PDC, member server, everything
> was running fine with windows 98, until we start upgrading our systems to
> windows xp, the network started becoming choke and problem of slow access
> arises everyday, I have checked with ethereal and the traffic generated by
> windows xp is almost thrice for the same work which windows 98 did. Please
> provide me some solution to overcome this problem.

Wow, only twice the traffic! Something tells me your metrics are a little off.
From my evaluation it is more like 3-5 times as much traffic for the same
operations, but it makes a difference what you are measuring.

For example, opening a directrory with 1000 or so file in Windows Explorer
could cost up to 6 times more I/O traffic.

Windows XP SP2 is a beast for traffic increase. The solution is revert to 98 -
or else bit-the-bullet by migrating to Linux.

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra
Samba-Team Member