[Samba] Solaris ACLs - Files Becoming Read Only

Damien Harrod damien.harrod at manukau.ac.nz
Sun Mar 20 06:26:37 GMT 2005

Solaris ACLs - Files Becoming Read Only
---------------------------------------

Problem:
--------

Since we have upgraded to Microsoft Office 2003 from Microsoft Office 2000
we have had problems with files becoming Read Only.

Background:
-----------

We have read-only and write groups which have access to files. We control
access using both the Samba configuration file and file system ACLs. This
give our users the flexibilty to access files via NFS, FTP or Samba. We have
had no problems until upgrading to Microsoft Office 2003 on our client
devices. Rolling back to Microsoft Office 2000 is unfortunately not an
option.

When more than one users accesses a document using either Microsoft Word
2003 or Microsoft Excel 2003 Samba will change permissions on the file and
also modify the underlying ACL. The access does NOT have to be concurrent.
One user can finish working with the file and another user can attempt to
edit the file and cause it to become read-only.

System Information:
-------------------

Operating System - Solaris 9 (sparc)
Samba Version - 3.08

Samba has been compiled with ACL support.

Abridged Samba Configuration:
-----------------------------

[global]
        kernel oplocks = No
        create mask = 0770
        oplocks = No
        level2 oplocks = No

[sharename]
        valid users = @"readgroup",@"writegroup"
        read list = @"readgroup"
        write list = @"writegroup"
        force group = "readgroup"
        create mask = 0740
        force create mode = 0740
        inherit permissions = yes
        inherit acls = yes

Solaris ACL Configuration
-------------------------

The following is the ACL information on a file.

 user::rwx
 group::---              #effective:---
 group:readgroup:r-x            #effective:r-x
 group:writegroup:rwx           #effective:rwx
 mask:rwx
 other:---

Standard Unix permissions on this file appear as

 -rwx------+  (the + symbolises that the file has ACLs set)

The following is the resulting file permissions and ACLs on an AFFECTED
FILE.

 user::r-x
 user:username:rwx         #effective:rwx
 group::r-x              #effective:r-x
 group:writegroup:rwx           #effective:rwx
 mask:rwx
 other:---

 -r-xr-x---+

Whats Been Tried

We have tried enabling and disabling OpLocks without success.

We have also tried to disable ACLs on the file system and use standard UNIX
permissions. This DOES stop files from becoming read only, but only provides
the required access when accessing the file system via Samba. We need to
continue using ACLs as Samba is not the only method used to access files.

Any ideas on how we may solve this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Damien