[Samba] samba frond-end (load balancing)

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Mar 20 00:48:32 GMT 2005

On Sat, 2005-03-19 at 22:14 +0100, vmoravek at atlas.cz wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I work on HA samba project for my company. My plan is use some samba
> server like front-ends with remotely storage mouted by nfs to this servers.

I don't see how this provides any increased availability (have you shown
the Samba server to be the point of failure, and as such be in need of
redundancy?), and you only make life very complex by using NFS, and
providing a conflicting locking view on each frontend CIFS server.

You still have a single point of failure (the NFS server).

You also seem unclear as to if this project is for HA, or load balancing
- the two are different problems, with different solutions.  Also, is
the dataset read-only or read-write?

Andrew Bartlett