[Samba] smbpasswd to LDAP

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Fri Mar 18 16:43:24 GMT 2005

>>I don't think I was clear here, I didn't say to point it at your
>>smbpasswd file, instead I said passsword file.  You already stated that
>>you didn't have the windows passwords in LDAP so there shouldn't be any
>>overlap there.  My concern was how it would handle if you had somehow
>>gotten the sambaSamAccount objectClass on the users already.
>>

>I really do not follow what you suggested I try with the pdbedit command.  All
>I'm interested in is the LM and NT hashes inside of the sambapassword file on
>my production server.  How would the pdbedit command help me get those LM and
>NT hashes into my LDAP database on my new server?

It would help you because that is exactly what it does.  If you have
ldap set up and working already, so that a newly added user works, the
command should be something like

pdbedit -i smbpasswd:/etc/smbpasswd.old

otherwise you'd have to specify the ldapsam with the -e flag

Quoting the man page

       -i passdb-backend
              Use a different passdb backend to retrieve users than the
one specified in smb.conf. Can be used to import data into your  lo-
              cal user database.

              This option will ease migration from one passdb backend to
another.

       -e passdb-backend
              Exports all currently available users to the specified
password database backend.

              This option will ease migration from one passdb backend to
another and will ease backing up.

--
Paul Gienger                    Office: 701-281-1884
Applied Engineering Inc.