[Samba] Re: Reinstallation of a samba server

Alexander Staudt alex at ev-ibiza.com
Fri Mar 18 13:51:16 GMT 2005

Timo Haberkern wrote:
> Hello together,
>
> i'm running samba 2 on a red hat system. This system is not very stable,
> so we want to reinstall it completely. We are using samba as a domain
> controller for the windows client. My question. What happens to the
> local user profile folders on every client if i setup a new samba server
> (naming the Domain and users as in the old system)? Of course we want to
> keep all data in the profile folders intact (i.e. mozilla mail folder
> and so on). Can this be done without problem?
>
> Timo

Just copy it over to the new machine.
As i do presume your folders have the names of the users,
perhaps run a little script "chowning" the folders to the new users,
as they probably have different UID´s on the new server.
After all, Data is Data, only issue could be the rigths management.

Cheers,
Alex