[Samba] smbpasswd to LDAP

Matt Lung matt.lung at midwest-tool.com
Thu Mar 17 17:39:31 GMT 2005

Quoting Luca Olivetti <luca at wetron.es>:

> Matt Lung wrote:
> > Is there a way to take users samba passwords from an old 2.x Samba server,
> and
> > insert them into a new 3.x Samba server that using an LDAP backend?  The
> new
> > server is already populated with all users and groups in LDAP and is
> currently
> > on a test network.  All that is needed is the users samba passwords from
> the
> > old server that is using the smbpasswd file.
>
> If there aren't samba attributes in ldap you can use
>
> pdbedit -i smbpasswd:<smbpasswd-file-path>
>
> If there are already samba attributes this won't work.
>
> What I did was:

Hmm... I don't think that will work for us here.  Our users have been migrated
out of the passwd and shadow file on the old server for a while now.  Their
account info (except their samba password) has lived in LDAP for a few years
now.  I'm just trying to avoid having to change all the users passwords on the
new server and having a big mess.  I'd like it to be very transparent.  I guess
if what I'm asking is impossible at this point I'm sort of heading towards the
mess.  My question is Shouldn't I somehow be able to insert samba passwords into
the LDAP database and move on?  Or is it just past that point now?

When I change my password on the new server I know it is changing the
sambaLMPassword attribute. So how is the migrate tool setting that from the
sambapasswd file when someone is migrating?