[Samba] OW #10.10 - How do you save documents?

OFFICE Watch wow-robot at woodyswatch.com
Thu Mar 17 15:49:00 GMT 2005

                 --==>> OFFICE WATCH <<==--
    The Microsoft Office newsletter from Woody's Watch.
Your independent source for MS Office advice and news since 1996
                 17 March 2005	Vol 10 No 10
New! "The Desktop Search Handbook" - http://shop.woodyswatch.com/dsh/

Advertise in Woody's Watch - great rates, great reach, no hard sell.  Ask Jan  ow.ads at woodyswatch.com

1. How do you save your documents?
2. Quickly marking spam
3. Shortcut of the Week
4. Keep OW Alive and Free

>>> Got Office? Get OfficeRecovery! <<<
There is up to 99% of useful data in a file that won't open anymore. Get it back with data recovery utilities for Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, SQL Server, Outlook, Exchange and other applications. Available standalone and in OfficeRecovery suites. Use yourself, tell colleagues.
*** Click http://ref.OfficeRecovery.com/?wow for a free demo. ***

______
1. HOW DO YOU SAVE YOUR DOCUMENTS?
It's something we might take for granted but my eye caught this message from an Office Watch reader:

John R writes:

"I label folders by topic and sub-topic and files by using the date of origin in the year/month/day sequence, ie this one is reference 050315.   The beauty of this is, it keeps things in chronological order which matches my memory. Of course as the year changes, I create a new sub-folder with the date (or month if it is a busy topic), ie 0503. I then relabel any incoming files by their date of origin so they slot neatly into the sequence, that is before or after my related file."

John has one way to arrange documents that suits him.  It made me wonder how other readers choose to organize their documents.

Do you save them under 'My Documents'  or some other 'root' folder

How do you create folders / sub-folders?

Do you have a document naming system or just whatever come to mind?

Do you make use of Word document properties (under File | Properties | Summary or Custom)?

Do you let documents accumulate over the years?

Do you delete or archive old documents occasionally?

We'd love to hear from Office Watch readers to get an idea of the variety of options that real people use.  DocsnFolders at woodyswatch.com

_______
We've been pleased and exhausted by the response from Woody's Watch readers to our Editor-in-Chief's first ebook.   We're exhausted because we've had to put in a whole new shopping system to cope with demand. All the purchasing options are now available via http://shop.woodyswatch.com/eb/.  Sales of the Desktop Search Handbook directly help keep all the Woody's Watch newsletters as free and fearless services to all.

                The Desktop Search Handbook
                   an Office Watch guide
              http://shop.woodyswatch.com/dsh/

Over 65 pages of in-depth and original info and how to's on the major desktop search products.  Searchable text and color images throughout - naturally.

* All new and expanded content

* NO advertising - 65 pages plus appendices.

* In depth reviews and how to for the major Desktop Search products
    o Copernic Desktop
    o Google Desktop Search
    o Lookout for Outlook
    o MSN Toolbar Suite
    o Yahoo Desktop  (a version of X1)

* Simple guide to making desktop searching work even better for you.
    o Effective indexing
    o Simple searching and beyond.
    o Tips on how to effectively index audio, video, OneNote, web caches and PDF's.
    o Search Command Reference

Not only do you get the ebook but you also get FREE updates / new editions as they are released during 2005.  We'll update the book throughout the year.

Woody's Watch subscribers pay just US$9.95 - saving $5 on the standard price. It's our gift to those of you who have supported us over the years.  We have options to pay in Canadian dollars, Sterling, Euro, Yen and Aussie dollars too.

Check it out at http://shop.woodyswatch.com/dsh/   There's a special diskette edition available via Amazon USA - so you can add a copy of the Desktop Search Handbook to your regular Amazon shopping cart.  http://shop.woodyswatch.com/dsh/AmazonUS.asp

_______
2. QUICKLY MARKING SPAM
Outlook 2003 has a junk mail filter but it isn't perfect, and occasionally you have to delete spam messages yourself.

You can just hit delete and remove the message or you can mark the message as spam / junk email.  Doing that with Outlook 2003 in its default setup is a nuisance.

You have to choose Actions | Junk E-mail | Add Sender to Blocked Senders list from the menu or the right-click menu.

But there is a quicker - single click - option.  Just add a new item to your menu.

* Right-click on the Outlook toolbar and choose Customise.  Leave the Customise dialog open so you can edit the toolbar menu.

* Under the Commands tab choose the Actions category

* From the Commands list scroll down to 'Add Sender to Blocked Senders List' click on that item and drag it to a position on the Outlook toolbar.

* The item will appear on the toolbar but with the long text name.  You'll probably want to shorten that.

* Right-click on the new toolbar item and click on the Name item

* Change the text to something shorter - - I just have it as 'Junk'

* You can add a shortcut key with the & symbol before the shortcut key eg  &Junk  or Jun&k

* To have both text and an image on the toolbar button.  Just add an image by choosing 'Image and Text' then select 'Change Button Image' and select an icon.  The unhappy face icon seems appropriate.

* To have just an image you should choose 'Text Only (in menus)' and then the 'Change Button Image' - this option uses the least screen space.

* Finally click OK on the Customize dialog to end editing the toolbar.

Now you can highlight an incoming message, click on the new button and it will be moved to the Junk E-mail folder and the sender will be added to the Blocked Senders list in one operation.

This easy approach has some drawbacks - most common is that it can be too quick to click on a message that you really want to keep.  If you do that you have to undo both operations of the Junk toolbar button.  Find the message in the Junk E-mail folder and move it back to the Inbox and go to Actions | Junk E-mail | Options | Blocked Senders | find the email address of the sender and click Remove.

The blocked senders list is of limited use, most spammers fake the FROM address and change it quickly.  Any full email addresses you put on the Blocked Sender list are not likely to be used again.  But with a single click toolbar button it can be worth the small effort.
_______

OFFICE 2003 TIMESAVING TECHNIQUES FOR DUMMIES Woody's book is available now - click here for a list of online booksellers http://www.woodyswatch.com/l.asp?0764567616  or try our new online store http://shop.woodyswatch.com

3. SHORTCUT OF THE WEEK
Jump straight to the File | Open dialog box by simply pressing:

Ctrl + F12

_______

4. KEEP OW ALIVE AND FREE
If you like the no-nonsense style you see in this newsletter - the straight scoop, whether Microsoft likes it or not, dished out in a way that won't put you to sleep - get one of Woody Leonhards  books!

"Office 2003 Timesaving Techniques for Dummies" , Wiley
http://www.woodyswatch.com/l.asp?0764567616

"Special Edition Using Microsoft Office 2003" with Ed Bott, Que
     http://www.woodyswatch.com/l.asp?0789729555

"Windows XP Timesaving Techniques For Dummies", Wiley
     http://www.woodyswatch.com/l.asp?0764537482

"Windows XP All-In-One Desk Reference For Dummies, 2nd Edition", Wiley
     http://woodyswatch.com/l.asp?0764574639

"Special Edition Using Microsoft Office XP" with Ed Bott, Que
     http://www.woodyswatch.com/l.asp?0789725134

"Special Edition Using Microsoft Office 2000" with Ed Bott, Que
     http://www.woodyswatch.com/l.asp?0789718421

ADMINISTRIVIA
If you want to know about subscribing, unsubscribing, changing your address, making comments, distributing copies of OW - or you want to read about how we protect your privacy, or any of the usual legal mumbo-jumbo, please hop over to your very own personalized OW page at http://woodyswatch.com/info.asp?wow=samba@lists.samba.org .

This copy of OW was originally sent to samba at lists.samba.org

ADVERTISING
You, too, can reach the largest group of influential Office users on the planet for a mere pittance... send a message to Jan mailto:ads at woodyswatch.com and our ad folks will send you details.

Woody's Watch happily uses Dundee Internet for all web & list hosting http://www.dundee.net/isp/default.asp

OFFICE Watch
Copyright 2005 by Peter Deegan. All rights reserved. ISSN 1328-1674.

Leaving us?  Forward (don't reply) this message to   leave-wow-55267396M at lists.woodyswatch.com
    [samba at lists.samba.org]