[Samba] Samba configure script not finding ldap libs

Theodore Jencks tjencks at navis.com
Wed Mar 16 20:53:33 GMT 2005

Hey All,

I'm trying to compile Samba 3.0.12rc1 on a Redhat Linux Fedora Core 3
machine.  I have the following LDAP RPMS installed:

rpm -qa | grep ldap gives:

openldap-2.2.13-2

python-ldap-2.0.1-2

openldap-clients-2.2.13-2

openldap-devel-2.2.13-2

openldap-servers-2.2.13-2

nss_ldap-220-3

I run configure in the following fashion:

CFLAGS="-O2 -march=prescott -I/usr/lib"; export CFLAGS

./configure \

--prefix=/usr \

--sysconfdir=/etc \

--localstatedir=/var \

--with-libdir=/usr/lib \

--with-configdir=/etc/samba \

--mandir=/usr/share/man \

--with-privatedir=/etc/samba \

--with-lockdir=/var/lock/samba \

--with-piddir=/var/run/samba \

--with-swatdir=/usr/local/swat \

--with-pam \

--with-pam_smbpass \

--with-syslog \

--with-quotas \

--with-utmp \

--with-ldap=/usr \

--with-ads \

--with-smbmount \

--with-automount \

--with-winbind

I get the following message from configure:

checking for LDAP support... auto

checking ldap.h usability... yes

checking ldap.h presence... yes

checking for ldap.h... yes

checking lber.h usability... yes

checking lber.h presence... yes

checking for lber.h... yes

checking for ber_scanf in -llber... yes

checking for ldap_init in -lldap... no

checking for ldap_domain2hostlist... no

checking for ldap_set_rebind_proc... no

checking whether ldap_set_rebind_proc takes 3 arguments... 3

checking for ldap_initialize... no

configure: WARNING: libldap is needed for LDAP support

checking for Active Directory and krb5 support... yes

configure: error: Active Directory Support requires LDAP support

So I check for ldaplib with find /* -name "ldaplib*" and get:

/usr/lib/libldap_r-2.2.so.7.0.6

/usr/lib/evolution-openldap/lib/libldap.a

/usr/lib/evolution-openldap/lib/libldap_r.a

/usr/lib/libldap_r.so

/usr/lib/libldap.a

/usr/lib/libldap.so

/usr/lib/libldap-2.2.so.7.0.6

/usr/lib/libldap-2.2.so.7

/usr/lib/libldap_r-2.2.so.7

/usr/lib/libldap_r.a

So this looks fine to me, I have no idea why configure isn't finding
these libs?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Regards,

Theo