[Samba] Two questions

Bill Arlofski waa-samba at revpol.com
Wed Mar 16 20:33:32 GMT 2005

OrvUx wrote:
> Bart Hendrix wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>> I have the following questions:
>>

>> We have some folders / shares where we store for example only .doc
>> files. But some users also saves the .jpg files in this share. We
>> don't want this and we wondered if we can block saving .jpg files with
>> samba. Is there an option to set in smb.conf so we can block the
>> saving of .jpg files?
>>
>> Second one:
>> Some users saves the .doc files for example as
>> thisisanexampleforarealylongnameforawordfile.doc
>>
>> Is there an option to prevent these long names?
>>
>> Thanx
>>
>> Met vriendelijke groeten,
>>
>> Bart Hendrix
>>

> To restric the .jpg files the veto files option is for you...
>
> |veto files = /*.mp3/ /*.wav/ /*.mpeg/ /*.avi/
>
> Check this link...
> http://www.faqs.org/docs/samba/ch08.html
>
> For the long names i don't know... :D

 From that link:
---------------
If you want to prevent users from seeing files completely, you can
instead use the veto files option. This option, which takes the same
syntax as the hide files option, specifies a list of files that should
never be seen by the user. For example, let's change the [data] share to
the following:

[data]
     veto files = /*.java/*README*/

This will only prevent them from seeing these files.

I know that end users are always looking for ways to get around any
"technical solution" that is put in place to enforce a "company policy".

Based on my experience with end users (mostly K-12 students), I'd still
opt for training followed by "ramifications" for violators. :)

Cheers.

-
Bill Arlofski
waa-samba at revpol.com