[Samba] Two questions

Bill Arlofski waa-samba at revpol.com
Wed Mar 16 19:11:18 GMT 2005

Bart Hendrix wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have the following questions:
>

> We have some folders / shares where we store for example only .doc files. But some users also saves the .jpg files in this share. We don't want this and we wondered if we can block saving .jpg files with samba. Is there an option to set in smb.conf so we can block the saving of .jpg files?
>
> Second one:
>
> Some users saves the .doc files for example as thisisanexampleforarealylongnameforawordfile.doc
>
> Is there an option to prevent these long names?
>
> Thanx
>
> Met vriendelijke groeten,
>
> Bart Hendrix

Hi Bart..  This sounds to me like two training issues, and possibly one
scripting issue.

What I mean is, users should be trained to create intelligently named
files that are also sensible names to other users. What would you have
Samba do with that long name for example?

Truncate it?

Perform the idiotic Micrsoft    trncat~1   deal on it?

I think those options would make your life more miserable. :)

Next, tell the users not to put .jpg files in that share. Follow up with
  pain and suffering for those that don't follow directions.  <grin>

And optionally, for those that still can not follow simple directions,
write a cron job to

rm -f *.jpg

in that directory weekly/nightly/hourly

Just some thoughts.