[Samba] Samba and cups printing: lp_servicenumber: couldn't find hl5150d

Peter Weiss Peter.Weiss at ConSol.de
Wed Mar 16 08:24:59 GMT 2005

"Gerald (Jerry) Carter" <jerry at samba.org> writes:

> [...]Hash: SHA1
>
> Peter Weiss wrote:
> | Hello,
> |
> | found no answer for the following elsewhere setting up
> | samba on a Debian box:  The printer is seen on the net from
> | the clients but no printing is possible.
> | I traced the thing down to the following:
> |
> | [2005/03/13 13:01:08, 10] printing/print_cups.c:cups_server(51)
> |   cups server left to default localhost
> | [2005/03/13 13:01:08, 7] param/loadparm.c:lp_servicenumber(4051)
> |   lp_servicenumber: couldn't find hl5150d
> | [2005/03/13 13:01:08, 8] param/loadparm.c:add_a_service(2305)
> |   add_a_service: Creating snum = 7 for hl5150d
> |
> | Looking at the sources the printer is first looked up
> | in lp_servicenumber() and _after that_ the service is added
> | by add_a_service().  Has anyone a hint where to look at?
>
> This is normal (the log message).  smbd defers to explicitly
> defined shares in smb.conf.  We create one if [printers] exists
> and the requested name can be validated by the printing subsystem.
>
> [...]

Okay, here are the details: "smbclient -L pichuco" shows the printer, I'm
able to login and use the Disk shares (so I guess it's no authentification
problem).  But if I try to use the printer I get a "tree connect failed:
NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME".

I still think it's related to the add_a_service()/ lp_servicenumber() order.
In the log.smbd I see no errors or hints for possible reasons. I can send
them on demand, the NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME error does not show up.

Peter

~:1> smbclient -L pichuco
Password:
Domain=[TANGO] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.10-Debian]

        Sharename       Type      Comment
        ---------       ----      -------
        public          Disk      Export Pool Directory
        homes           Disk      User Home Directories
        tmp             Disk      Temporary disk space
        print$          Disk      Printer Drivers
        IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Pichuco)
        ADMIN$          IPC       IPC Service (Pichuco)
        hl5150d         Printer   Brother HL5150D PostScript Printer
        hl5150ddbl      Printer   Brother HL5150D Duplex PostScript Printer
        peter           Disk      User Home Directories
Domain=[TANGO] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.10-Debian]

        Server               Comment
        PICHUCO              Pichuco

        Workgroup            Master
        TANGO                PICHUCO

~:1> smbclient //pichuco/hl5150d

--
Peter.Weiss at consol.de                         ConSol* Software GmbH
Phone  +49 89 45841-100                       Consulting & Solutions