[Samba] Samba and Preallocated Files

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Tue Mar 15 23:19:34 GMT 2005

On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 06:13:17PM -0500, AndyLiebman at aol.com wrote:

> Isn't the Mac Samba Client compiled from a stock Samba samba.org source
> code? And if so, shouldn't it behave as any other Samba client. Or is Apple  doing
> their own thing with the Samba client?

Apple maintains their own code - based originally on the FreeBSD smbfs code
I believe.

> I've been Googling for information to see if it's possible to compile my  own
> Samba for OS X and haven't come up with much.
>
> If it IS an Apple bug, I would bet "dollars to doughnuts" that Apple will
> quietly neglect the issue. In my experience with the company, they don't want to
>  do ANYTHING that will help non-Apple products compete with Apple storage
> devices. They will simply leave it broken.

No, that's not my experience with Conrad - he's the Apple developer in
charge of their CIFS client. But there's only one of him and he has
a schedule.

> That's not to say that it's the Samba Team's job to fix it. I've just been
> dealing with Apple Final Cut Pro developers for a long time and I know of  what
> I speak! All I've gotten out of them is "it's the Quicktime API that's
> responsible, and they'll have to change Quicktime to change the behavior when
> writing to a Samba share."
>
> Does that ring true to you?

Either Quicktime could be fixed, or the Apple CIFS client could be fixed.
The server isn't doing anything wrong - it's being asked to write data and
so it does.

> Have you heard of XSan and XServe RAID?

I've heard of them, yes.

Jeremy.