[Samba] vampire question

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Tue Mar 15 21:40:31 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 15 March 2005 12:33, Schlomo Schapiro wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> On Mon, 14 Mar 2005, John H Terpstra wrote:
> > On Monday 14 March 2005 14:29, Schlomo Schapiro wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > aren't posix account names supposed to be without blanks ? I would be
> > > most surprised if a machine account with a blank would work with Samba
> > > !
> >
> > Is this "no blank" specified in any standards? It seems someone has
> > decided that Linux should no longer permit blanks in user names and/or
> > group names.
>
> Just tried on my SuSE 9.0:
> # useradd "hello world"
> useradd: Invalid user name `hello world'.
>
> So I assume that usernames with blanks are not a good idea - in the way
> that most Linux tools don't cope with them, even if maybe the NSS
> library calls do cope with them.
>
> Doesn't Samba also use the platform useradd command to add accounts in
> most setups ?

Yes, for the tdbsam backend and for smbpasswd backend. This means you will
need to implement a shell script that converts names to lower case and strips
spaces. The allow the shell script to call 'useradd' etc. The smb.conf
parameter 'add user script' should be set up to call your custom script.

- John T.

--
John H Terpstra
Samba-Team Member