[Samba] Roaming Profiles under LDAP backend

Chris Lawder chris at number41media.com
Tue Mar 15 21:11:19 GMT 2005

Hi,

To this point I have been careful about mixing Win2K and WinXP profiles
when using samba as a PDC/Profile server. Settings I have used have been
like the following...

logon path = \\%L\profiles\%u\%m   (in smb.conf) with a typical profile
directory as follows...

drwx------  14 test  wheel  512 Mar 14 11:32 Win2K
drwx------  17 test  wheel  512 Oct 27 18:22 WinXP
lrwxr-xr-x   1 test  wheel    7 Oct 27 18:29 bilbo -> ./WinXP
lrwxr-xr-x   1 test  wheel    7 Oct 27 18:32 treebeard -> ./Win2K

We are using a mix of Win2K and WinXP workstations.

I am now testing out a Samba/LDAP Domain and have most all working well
but have run into a situation where I do not see how to keep profiles
separated as described above. Should I be worried about separating them
still? Both the Win2K and WinXP workstations have all the latest
security patches and updates with the exception of SP2 on the WinXP.

Seems now that since sambaProfilePath is set in the LDAP tree it is
forcing (in my case) the "testuser1" profile to..

\\LEGOLAS\profiles\testuser1

I have tried removing the sambaProfilePath attribute from the LDAP
user's dn so that the "login path" samba config can take over. In such a
case (assuming "logon path = \\%L\profiles\%u\%m") %u does not expand to
"testuser1" but %m will expand to the machine name (grima). Thus the
profile directory gets written to the servers file system as...

/home/samba/profiles/%u/grima/

...and all the profile files I'd expect to see there will appear after a
first log out.

I am seeking Recomendations, pointers to documentation and examples of
the best way to deal with this situation. My preference is for a profile
style that was first described in this message.

Thank you in advance for your time and help.

Chris Lawder

--

Number 41 Media Corporation
Suite 103 - 645 Fort Street