[Samba] How to access a Linux share with NO password

Larry Alkoff labradley at mindspring.com
Tue Mar 15 01:06:15 GMT 2005

I am trying to make a public share on my Linux machine
using Samba 3.0.10 for automatic setting of time by Windows 98 machines
using a batch file that will run in the wee hours.
My problem is the net use command always asks for a password
which doesn't work for an automatically run batch file.

The batch file lines run from windows are:
   c:\windows\net use  \\linda\public
   c:\windows\net time \\linda /set /yes

Every time the "net use" line runs a password is asked for.
Although the password can be put in the batch file I'm reluctant to do that.

It seems as though if I access linda (linux machine) and give it
a password, that works unless I've rebooted either machine or re-started
Samba.

My public share is world readable and looks like:

[public]
         comment = Public Stuff
         path = /public
         read only = No