[Samba] account migartion from NIS and Smbpasswd to LDAP

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Mon Mar 14 19:33:47 GMT 2005

On Monday 14 March 2005 12:22, Paul Gienger wrote:
> > There are both machine accounts and user accounts in the "smbpasswd"
> > file.

If you do not specify a "passdb backend" the default is to use an smbpasswd
backend and it will contain both user and machine accounts.

If the "passdb backend" specifies LDAP Samba will place user and machine
accounts into the locations specified by:

ldap machine suffix =
ldap user suffix =

> > So pdbedit will automatically put machine accounts into
> > ou=Computers and user accounts into ou=users, am I right?

pdbedit will do as instructed in smb.conf via the above.

> That I couldn't tell you honestly.  It stands to reason that the command
> could figure out which is which, but I have no empirical data to back
> that up.

There is no better solution because the passwords that are stored in NIS can
not be decrypted and then recrypted into the format needed by Windows.

On the other hand, if you already have an smbpasswd file that was previously
used with NIS, then you can migrate just the NIS copmonent into the LDAP
backend and then use:

	pdbedit -i smbpasswd -e ldapsam

to migrate the existing Windows passwords.

> >> So by your subject line it appears that you have a smbpasswd file
> >> someplace.  You can use the pdbedit command with import and export
> >> flags to move the relevant fields over to ldap.

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra
Samba-Team Member