[Samba] XP Home client problems.

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Mon Mar 14 19:26:42 GMT 2005

I can't comment on most of your issue, but for this one I do have some
advice:

>I don't know whether this will be of any use in debugging, When I do a
>net use on the XP box, and monitor the IP flow, I see traffic destined
>to port 80 on the Linux box from the XP box.

I can't remember exactly what the proper term is for this, but it is the
webclient service in XP doing that.  It can cause some performance
problems if not dealt with, so you have two basic options.
1. Disable the webclient service on the XP box.  This stops the requests
entirely.
2. Set up a web server on the linux box.  This provides something that
will give an explicit no when the XP machine comes looking for data
rather than waiting for a timeout.  I usually do this one because it's
quicker for me to set up a basic web server than turn off every client
in the network.

--
Paul Gienger                    Office: 701-281-1884
Applied Engineering Inc.