[Samba] UTF-8 problem when not using UTF-8, but Umlauts

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Sun Mar 13 21:05:16 GMT 2005

On Sun, Mar 13, 2005 at 02:17:13PM +0100, Gerhard Strangar wrote:

> > > Solaris 9 for 32-bit x86
> > It has a broken iconv library.
>
> Which stnadard or RFC does it violate?

I'm not saying it violates any standard or RFC, what I'm saying is
it doesn't work :-).

Convering from UCS2-LE to ISO8859-1 is a pretty common operation,
if your iconv library doesn't seem to have support for it then there's
something wrong. I don't use Solaris so I don't know what.

> Installing libiconv didn't create a
> /usr/local/samba/lib/charset/ISO8859-1.so
> which smbstatus tries to open all the time.

I'd just use Linux then :-). iconv is configured correctly
and just works on that platform.

Jeremy.