JT, Jerry, Chris, Andrew??? Anything new was:Re: [Samba] Extremely slow during browsing some directories

david rankin drankin at cox-internet.com
Sat Mar 12 06:03:45 GMT 2005

John, Jerry, Chris and, yes you too Bartlett (mate):

    Have you thought any more about this problem?? It has been posted under:
Samba errors with smb QUERY_PATH_INFO,Error: STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND

3.0.7 - NT Create AndX Response, Error:, QUERY_PATH_INFO,Error:

Extremely slow during browsing some directories

    Basically Linwei and myself are having 30 second delays descending
directory trees within the file-open dialogs from MS applications. (Yes I
know, it's an MS thing, but I thought you guys would want to know) The
problem does NOT affect windows explorer, only the MS Office application's
file-open function. I've posted the ethereal dump of the communications,
but, interpreting what it is telling me is beyond this idiot
engineer/lawyer. Anyway, what happens is that if you open say: MS Word, and
go to open a file -- and click on the directory list box, the process
freezes for 18-30 seconds. That generates the AndX response error,
QUERY_PATH_INFO error, etc...

    Yes, it is MS related, BUT, it only happens on trying to access files on
a samba share.  No doubt, MS has thrown a wrench into the equation, but we
need to understand it and find out how to fix in on our side. The problem is
"I AINT smart enough to do it on my own." Damn, it hurts to admit it, but
it's so.

    My proposal is for you guys to "Tell me what you want me to
capture/send/whatever and I'll do it" I'm too old to try and learn this
trick. (You know "Play golf -- and your tennis game suffers" so "pick your
sport")

    That's it. Enough philosophy. I think we have a real problem to work. I
am more than willing to do what I can, but at this level, I am drawing from
a "shallow pool" of knowledge.

    Your thoughts?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.