[Samba] vampire question

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Fri Mar 11 20:03:13 GMT 2005

On Friday 11 March 2005 11:26, Kurt A. Brust wrote:
> I have a quick question for you... when running net
>
> > rpc vampire -S ntserver -U Administrator%stacy182  --- everything
>
> seems
>
> > to run fine.... however I do get
> > could not create posix account info for 'machine name$'

I presume you are using a tdbsam backend. If so, on SLES9 you need to do the
following:

a) mkdir /var/lib/smb-machines/
b) Set in your smb.conf the following:

add machine account = /usr/sbin/useradd -s /bin/flase
-d /var/lib/smb-machines/"%u" "%u"

i.e.: SLES9 will not allow creation of system accounts that have a /dev/null
home directory.

Please call me on (650) 580-8668

- John T.
--