[Samba] Practical guide to migrate from tdbsam to ldapsam

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Fri Mar 11 15:31:31 GMT 2005

On Friday 11 March 2005 04:38, Julián Herrera wrote:
> Hello people!
>
> I'd like to know about a practical guide which helps to migrate users
> from a perfect working Samba PDC running with tdbsam backend to a new
> backend to LDAP. Does "pdbedit -i xxx -e xxx" make all the job? My
> network is growing and I need a directory service to help find people so
> I'd like to see a LDAP server running well with Samba without rebuild my
> user base.

Installations that use tdbsam have user and group accounts in two places:

UNIX Accounts:
	/etc/passwd + /etc/shadow: Holds the POSIX (system) user accounts
	/etc/group: Has the POSIX (system) group account

Samba SAM Accounts:
	/etc/samba/passdb.tdb
or	/usr/local/samba/lib/private/passdb.tdb

The use of 'pdbedit -i tdbsam -e ldapsam' can be used to migrate the
SambaSAMAccount infromation to LDAP, but the migrationm of the POSIX accounts
is a little more difficult.

The procedure you could use is to use the PADL migration tools to migrate the
POSIX accounts to LDAP first, then use the pdbedit tool to migrate the
SambaSAMAccount information. Alternately, check http://idealx.org and
http://www.padl.com for the suitable migration tools that may permit the
migration as a one-step operation.

- John T.