[Samba] Creating Custom System Policy Templates

Mike Petersen mgpeter at pcc-services.com
Thu Mar 10 15:58:53 GMT 2005

Has anyone looked into creating custom templates for Microsoft's System
Policy editor ?  I like the idea of managing workstations through the
NTConfig.POL file, but the included templates are quite a bit outdated.
Does anyone know if it would be worth-while to take the time and create an
updated Template to add policies to manage newer features of Windows
2000/XP through the NTConfig.POL file, or if it is even possible ?

Currently, if I have to adjust the machine's registries, I just push it out
with a Kixtart Script, which means that if I want to adjust any "User"
registry settings, the user has to be logged in when I run the script.  I
think the System Policy Editor would be a better way to go, as long as you
keep in mind the "tatoo" effect on the registry.

Does anyone have any info on whether or not this is feasible, or if samba
will soon support Group Policy Objects (so I won't need to do this)?  Or if
someone already has accomplished this or has any other comments.....

Mike Petersen
mgpeter at pcc-services.com