[Samba] samba 3 and ldapsam_compat

Tony Earnshaw tonye at billy.demon.nl
Wed Mar 9 19:22:30 GMT 2005

Joan Ramos Ramos:

> Hi, i'm trying to configure a samba-3.0.9-2.3 with suse 9.2 and
> openldap2-2.1.12-74 in another server  but i have a strange problem. My
> samba schema is old and i have use the ldapsam_compat parameter on samba
> 3.

I'm relatively new here (but have a successful 80 Win 2000/XP Professional
work station, 1150+ user/Openldap 2.0.17) running in production on Samba
3.0.11, but am an old LDAP hand. When I first started with Samba (couple
of weeks ago), I followed the Nevarra so-called HOWTO. It lead me toward
the abyss, which, because I'm an old hand LDAP person I knew instinctively
to avoid - compat and all such shit. It leads you, with Samba 3, to
destruction.

DO NOT USE COMPAT, go all out for samba3, with the complete wherewithall.
Right from the beginning.

And for goodness sake, if you've got as far as OpenLDAP 2.2, do at least
try to stay up to date. The latest stable is 2.2.23.

--Tonni

mail: tonye at billy.demon.nl
http://www.billy.demon.nl