[Samba] struggling with smbldap_tools

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Thu Mar 10 09:31:51 GMT 2005

On Thursday 10 March 2005 02:17, Michael Gasch wrote:
> i have a question related to smbldap_tools and the docs in "Chapter 6.
> Making Happy Users" item 4:

> "Edit the /etc/smbldap-tools/smbldap.conf file so that the following
> information is changed from:
>
> # Where to store next uidNumber and gidNumber available
> sambaUnixIdPooldn="cn=NextFreeUnixId,${suffix}"
>

>   to read, after modification:
>
> # Where to store next uidNumber and gidNumber available
> #sambaUnixIdPooldn="cn=NextFreeUnixId,${suffix}"
> sambaUnixIdPooldn="sambaDomainName=MEGANET2,dc=abmas,dc=biz"
>
> why do i have to change from "cn=NextFree..." to "sambaDomainName=" ???
> the default setting ("cn=NextFree...") is working for me (except of some
> trouble with umlauts in groupnames)
>
> why does the documentation mention this change?
> could you please point me to the solution?

What version of the smbldap-tools are you using? The updated documenation uses
0.8.7. With 0.8.5 I had no problem with the default setting. I did not mess
with this, when the smbldap-populate.pl script gave instructions I followed
them - it seemed like a smart move. :)

> [OT]
> btw at john: i have document (thesis) about migrating from NT4 PDC to
> Sambav3 PDC (in german). it was part of my training as an IT-admin
>
> could this be useful for you?

Yes, please send them to me. Anything I can glean from it I will use - with
your permission of course.

Cheers,
John T.

--