[Samba] struggling with smbldap_tools

Michael Gasch gasch at eva.mpg.de
Thu Mar 10 09:17:43 GMT 2005

i have a question related to smbldap_tools and the docs in "Chapter 6.
Making Happy Users" item 4:

"Edit the /etc/smbldap-tools/smbldap.conf file so that the following
information is changed from:

# Where to store next uidNumber and gidNumber available
sambaUnixIdPooldn="cn=NextFreeUnixId,${suffix}"

  to read, after modification:

# Where to store next uidNumber and gidNumber available
#sambaUnixIdPooldn="cn=NextFreeUnixId,${suffix}"
sambaUnixIdPooldn="sambaDomainName=MEGANET2,dc=abmas,dc=biz"

why do i have to change from "cn=NextFree..." to "sambaDomainName=" ???
the default setting ("cn=NextFree...") is working for me (except of some
trouble with umlauts in groupnames)

why does the documentation mention this change?
could you please point me to the solution?

[OT]
btw at john: i have document (thesis) about migrating from NT4 PDC to
Sambav3 PDC (in german). it was part of my training as an IT-admin

could this be useful for you?

--

                  Michael Gasch

            - Central IT Department -