[Samba] struggling with smbldap_tools

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Mar 10 07:50:15 GMT 2005

Trying to net rpc vampire an NT4 server

Think I am good to go but I keep getting errors - obviously problem with
NextFreeUnixId attribute - which is created...

dn: cn=NextFreeUnixId,dc=myhomelenders,dc=net
objectClass: inetOrgPerson
objectClass: sambaUnixIdPool
uidNumber: 1000
gidNumber: 1000
cn: NextFreeUnixId
sn: NextFreeUnixId
structuralObjectClass: inetOrgPerson

Every item gets this error...

Error looking for next uid at /usr/sbin///smbldap_tools.pm line 880,
<DATA> line 283.
Could not create posix account info for 'DELL-3000-5$'

Same for Computers/Groups...

I have set up in smbldap_conf.pm

sambaUnixIdPooldn="NextFreeUnixId,${suffix}"

It should be rockin' - but this is really painful. What's the trick?

I am not a fan of the smbldap-tools but it is a necessary evil for
vampire and tools have changed a bunch since I last used them.

Craig