[Samba] Samba-3.0.11installation - where is smb.conf

Derek Liu derek at geoffpenney.com.au
Wed Mar 9 23:25:51 GMT 2005

Hello list,

I installed samba-3.0.11 from source on Redhat 9.0 by following commands.

#./configure -with-winbind

#make

#make install

Samba has been installed in /usr/local/samba directory. But I could not find
smb.conf file.

Is there any smb.conf file generated by the installation process? Or Do I
have to create one manually?

Which is the default directory for the smb.conf file? According to info of
"configure -help" the default directory should be "/usr/local/samba/etc" in
my case, but I did not see the creation of the directory. Some document says
it should be in "/etc/samba" or "/usr/local/samba/lib".

Thanks in advance!

Derek