[Samba] Samba 3.0.11 on AIX 4.3

Ayotunde Itayemi aitayemi at vmobile-nigeria.com
Wed Mar 9 19:56:21 GMT 2005

Hi All,

Pls has anyone successfully installed Samba 3 on an AIX 4.3 (RS6000)
system? The only precompiled binary I was able to find - v 3.0.4 from
bullfreeware.com did not work after installation. I haven't been
successful
trying to install it from source. I have downloaded various requisite
programs such as kerberos (which won't compile either) and openldap.

I am particularly interested in Samba's ability to join a Windows2K
domain and its ACLs capabilities.
Pls any help would be appreciated.

Below is a mail I sent to someone about my "experience" installing from
source. Thanks.

Hi,

I have spent a couple of days trying to install Keberos 5 and Samba
3.0.11 on an AIX 4.3 (RS6000) system. It just refuses to install!

I have tried all sorts of things. First, it (kerberos) kept complaining
about not being able to determine some thread stuff, I got past that by
using the --disable-thread option.
Then configure goes through, but "make" crashes out.
I was partially successful by installing GNU bison, and GNU binutils,
now it goes much further before crashing out. I have included the
tail end of the message below. I noticed that make had made quite
a  few of the kerberos program binaries, so I went ahead and did
a "make install".
That installed some of the binaries and then bombed out too! I
tried to run kinit anyway and got "Illegal instruction (core dumped)"
Bison 2.0 didn't work so I tried version 1.30 as suggested on the Net
by someone experiencing the YACC's "shift" error for some other program
he was trying to compile. I had some luck with version 1.30

Any ideas please? Samba won't successfully compile either. I couldn't
locate any configure option that turns off threading in its case.

I have also tried GNU make, but that bombed out almost immediately
with some message about output file not specified or so.

Openldap wouldn't compile either, but I was able to get a precompiled
binary version which I just extracted out.

Thanks.
Tunde Itayemi.

/libtelnet/misc-proto.h:82: error: conflicting types for 'setenv'
ext.h:224: error: previous declaration of 'setenv' was here
/libtelnet/misc-proto.h:82: error: conflicting types for 'setenv'
ext.h:224: error: previous declaration of 'setenv' was here
telnetd.c: In function `main':
telnetd.c:261: warning: implicit declaration of function `strcasecmp'
telnetd.c: In function `getterminaltype':
telnetd.c:724: warning: implicit declaration of function `ttsuck'
telnetd.c:720: warning: unused variable `retval'
telnetd.c: In function `telnet':
telnetd.c:1212: warning: passing arg 2 of `ioctl' as signed due to
prototype
telnetd.c:1213: warning: passing arg 2 of `ioctl' as signed due to
prototype
telnetd.c:1294: warning: passing arg 3 of `strncat' as unsigned due
to prototype
telnetd.c:1322: warning: implicit declaration of function `bzero'
telnetd.c: At top level:
telnetd.c:1563: warning: no previous prototype for 'readstream'
telnetd.c: In function `readstream':
telnetd.c:1610: warning: implicit declaration of function
`readstream_termio'
telnetd.c:1612: warning: implicit declaration of function
`readstream_termios'
telnetd.c:1569: warning: unused variable `tsp'
telnetd.c:1570: warning: unused variable `tp'
telnetd.c: At top level:
telnetd.c:35: warning: 'copyright' defined but not used
make[2]: *** [telnetd.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/ecocentral/extras/krb5-1.4/src/appl/telnet/telnetd'
make[1]: *** [all-recurse] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/ecocentral/extras/krb5-1.4/src/appl/telnet'
make: *** [all-recurse] Error 1

Stop.
bash-2.05b#

The error I got after the installation of v 3.0.4 when I tried to start
the executables was (:

# cd /usr/local
# ls
bin    lib    man    samba
# cd samba/sbin
# ./swat
exec(): 0509-036 Cannot load program ./swat because of the following
errors:
        0509-150   Dependent module /usr/lib/libiconv.a(libiconv.so.2)
could not be loaded.
        0509-152   Member libiconv.so.2 is not found in archive
# ./samba
ksh: ./samba:  not found.
# ls
nmbd  smbd  swat
# ./smbd
exec(): 0509-036 Cannot load program ./smbd because of the following
errors:
        0509-150   Dependent module libldap.a(libldap.so.2) could not be
loaded.
        0509-022 Cannot load module libldap.a(libldap.so.2).
        0509-026 System error: A file or directory in the path name
does not exist.
# ./nmbd
exec(): 0509-036 Cannot load program ./nmbd because of the following
errors:
        0509-150   Dependent module /usr/lib/libiconv.a(libiconv.so.2)
could not be loaded.
        0509-152   Member libiconv.so.2 is not found in archive
#
The error changed slightly after I extracted a precompiled version of
openldap (openldap.2.2.21.tar) to:

bash-2.05b# smbd
exec(): 0509-036 Cannot load program smbd because of the following
errors:
        0509-150   Dependent module
/usr/local/lib/libldap.a(libldap.so.2) could not be loaded.
        0509-152   Member libldap.so.2 is not found in archive
bash-2.05b# cd /usr/lib/libiconv.a