[Samba] Running two instances of Samba in the same machine

Dani Camps danicamps81 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 9 17:22:54 GMT 2005

I have two subnets S1 and S2 and only one machine
running samba, but this machine is connected to both
subnets, ahs one interface in each subnet and is
acting as a router.
I want to have a workgroup that spans the two subnets,
so any machine in subnet S1 should see all the
machines regardless of their subnet when doing
browsing.

I know that to do this I need:
-One LMB in each subnet using Samba.
-One of the LMB of the two subnets should be a DMB and
at the same time a WINS server.
-I configure all the clients (Windows and Linux) to
use WINS.

Since I only have one machine connected to both
subnets running samba, I think I need to run two
instances of samba (smbd and nmbd) in that machine
each one binded to one interface and using different
smb.conf files. Is that the only solution ?

Thanks